Optimal Thyroid Health for All
Transforming thyroid care through clinical excellence, education, scientific discovery and advocacy in a collaborative community
Who We Are
The American Thyroid Association® (ATA) is dedicated to transforming thyroid care through clinical excellence, education, scientific discovery and advocacy in a collaborative community.
ATA® is a global professional medical society with more than 1,700 members from 70 countries around the world. Our vision is a world in which there is “Optimal Thyroid Health for all”.
Our members and staff are dedicated to making the world a better place for patients suffering with thyroid disease and thyroid cancer. The philanthropic support of our members, the public, and grateful patients helps ATA to support research that advances clinical care and improves patient outcomes. We hold ourselves to the highest standards of nonprofit and charitable organizations.
Our core values set a foundation for our organizational culture and are essential elements of our strategic foundation. As an organization we believe in:
- Scientific inquiry
- Clinical excellence
- Patient advocacy
- Public service
- Diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ethical conduct,
- Worldwide collaboration and collegiality
We have established the following goals to help us fulfill our vision and mission:
- To foster and support research on thyroid molecular and cell biology, physiology, and diseases.
- To disseminate new knowledge that leads to prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of thyroid diseases.
- To support education of trainees, basic scientists, physicians, and other health care professionals concerned with investigating, diagnosing, and treating thyroid diseases.
- To establish and guide public policies on the causes, diagnosis, and management of thyroid diseases and related disorders.
- To be the advocate for thyroid specialists in the councils concerned with science, clinical medicine, and health care delivery.
- To encourage broad-based support from industry and other parties to fulfill the Association’s scientific and educational missions.
- To stimulate philanthropic giving to a fund that supports the Association’s activities.
- To enlarge and diversify the Association’s membership.
- To develop, implement, and regularly review the Association’s long-term plan.
- To foster contact, collegiality, and collaboration among members and within the international thyroid community.
- To promote collaboration with thyroid societies in other regions of the world concerning public health and other scientific issues.
What We Do
ATA provides researchers and clinicians with networking opportunities and resources that will help them grow their careers and stay current on leading-edge research and advances in clinical care. Additionally, ATA is committed to providing patients and their families with reliable information and tools to help them learn more about and manage their thyroid disease and thyroid cancer.
Highlights of our programs include:
- Publishing highly regarded professional journals, Thyroid®, Clinical Thyroidology®, and VideoEndocrinology™;
- Disseminating Clinical Thyroidology®for the Public(distributed free of charge to over 14,000 patients and public subscribers) and extensive, authoritative explanations of thyroid disease and thyroid cancer in both English and Spanish.
- Hosting the “Find a specialist” patient resource connecting clinical thyroidologists to patients in North America and around the world.
- Publishing Clinical Management Guidelines for thyroid diseases and thyroid cancer.
- Establishing a centralized search engine of clinical trials related to thyroid disease.
- Coordinating “Friends of the ATA” – a resource for patients to receive monthly updates by email on the latest thyroid research and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Funding thyroid research grants through partnerships with Bite Me Cancer, THYCA, and the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation.
- Organizing scientific educational symposia on thyroid research and clinical treatment to improve the lives of patients and the understanding of thyroid function.
- Supporting trainees through programs like the Chester Ridgway Conference
- Collaborative efforts with endocrine, surgery and nuclear medicine societies
Guiding Principles and Policies
Conflict of Interest and Code of Conduct Policy and Standards (PDF File, 121 Kb)
American Thyroid Association® Corporate Relationships Guiding Principles (PDF File, 136 KB)
ATA® Institutional Conflict of Interest Disclosure (PDF File, 66 KB)
Join The ATA®
We invite you to join the American Thyroid Association® (ATA). The leading worldwide organization dedicated to the advancement, understanding, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorders and thyroid cancer, the ATA is an international individual membership organization with over 1,600 members from 43 countries around the world.
Prestigious awards are made to clinicians, academicians, young researchers, and premier ATA members who have made outstanding contributions in thyroidology. The awards include the Lewis E. Braverman Distinguished Award Lectureship, Paul Starr Award, Sidney H. Ingbar Distinguished Lectureship, the Van Meter Award, the ATA Distinguished Service Award, and the John B. Stanbury Thyroid Pathophysiology Medal.