The ATA is the leading organization devoted to thyroid biology and to the prevention and treatment of thyroid disease through excellence in research, clinical care, education, and public health.
The ATA is the leading organization focused on thyroid biology and the prevention and treatment of thyroid disorders through excellence and innovation in research, clinical care, education, and public health.
The ATA’s values are:
- scientific inquiry
- clinical excellence
- public service
- patient advocacy
- worldwide collaboration and collegiality
- ethical conduct
- To foster and support research on thyroid molecular and cell biology, physiology, and diseases.
- To disseminate new knowledge that leads to prevention, diagnosis,and treatment of thyroid diseases.
- To support education of trainees, basic scientists, physicians, and other health care professionals concerned with investigating, diagnosing, and treating thyroid diseases.
- To establish and guide public policies on the causes, diagnosis, and management of thyroid diseases and related disorders.
- To be the advocate for thyroid specialists in the councils concerned with science, clinical medicine, and health care delivery.
- To encourage broad-based support from industry and other parties to fulfill the Association’s scientific and educational missions.
- To stimulate philanthropic giving to a fund that supports the Association’s activities.
- To enlarge and diversify the Association’s membership
- To develop, implement, and regularly review the Association’s long-term plan.
- To foster contact, collegiality, and collaboration among members and within the international thyroid community.
- To promote collaboration with thyroid societies in other regions of the world concerning public health and other scientific issues.
The American Thyroid Association (ATA) is the leading worldwide organization dedicated to the advancement, understanding, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorders and thyroid cancer. ATA is an international individual membership organization with over 1,600 members from 43 countries around the world. Celebrating its 90th anniversary, ATA delivers its mission through several key endeavors: the publication of highly regarded monthly journals, THYROID, Clinical Thyroidology and Clinical Thyroidology for Patients; annual scientific meetings; biennial clinical and research symposia; research grant programs for young investigators, support of online professional, public and patient educational programs through www.thyroid.org; and the development of evidence based guidelines for clinical management of thyroid disease.
The annual meeting, held every fall, brings together over 1,000 physicians and investigators from around the world to share the newest clinical and basic science research into thyroid disease.
The meeting features posters, platform presentations, symposia, “meet the professor” lunches, discussion groups, and distinguished lectures. Awards are made to outstanding clinicians, academicians, young researchers, and dedicated Association members. Selected young investigators receive travel grants to attend the meeting. Exhibitors present related pharmaceutical, laboratory, diagnostic, publication, and organizational products and services. Every fifth year, the American Thyroid Association joins with the Latin American Thyroid Society, the European Thyroid Association, and the Asia Oceania Thyroid Association for an International Thyroid Congress.