Friends of the ATA
Get the most up-to-date thyroid news fast and easy! Be the most informed thyroid patient in the waiting room. Please feel free to submit questions as well as suggestions as to how we can better serve thyroid patients.
Follow us on Twitter at @thyroidfriends. Get the most up-to-date thyroid news fast and easy! Be the most informed thyroid patient in the waiting room. Please feel free to submit questions as well as suggestions as to how we can better serve thyroid patients.
Please like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/thyroidassociation.
Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
Up-to-date information to help you understand thyroid disease through the latest research.
In this issue, the studies ask the following questions:
- Is the brain development in pre-term infants affected by hypothyroidism in the mother?
- Can thyroid hormone prevent abnormal brain development if hypothyroidism in the mother is diagnosed during the pregnancy?
- Is methimazole taken during pregnancy associated with birth defects?
- Is kidney disease associated with autoimmune thyroid disease?
- What is the best to prepare patients for whole body scans to diagnose spread of thyroid cancer?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD
THYROID AND PREGNANCY Brain development in pre-term infants born of mothers with hypothyroidism
THYROID AND PREGNANCY Maternal hypothyroidism during pregnancy is not associated with severe brain abnormalities in the baby if treated with thyroid hormone prior to the third trimester
THYROID AND PREGNANCY Higher risk of birth defects in women treated with methimazole vs. propylthiouracil during pregnancy
AUTOIMMUNE THYROID DISEASE Several forms of kidney disease may be associated with autoimmune thyroid disease
THYROID CANCER Use of thyroid hormone withdrawal before radioactive iodine whole body scans for metastatic thyroid cancer is superior to recombinant TSH in detecting tumor sites