Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
Up-to-date information to help you understand thyroid disease through the latest research.
In this issue, the studies ask the following questions:
- Should children with subclinical hypothyroidism be treated?
- Can ultrasound imaging diagnose thyroid cancer?
- What is the risk of cancer in suspicious thyroid biopsies?
- Can molecular testing improve the accuracy of thyroid biopsies?
- What surgery is best for thyroid cancer- total thyroidectomy vs lobectomy?
- What is the ideal dose of radioactive iodine to treat thyroid cancer?
- Can you predict survival in patients with thyroid cancer by blood tests?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD
HYPOTHYROIDISM Only a few children with subclinical hypothyroidism progress to overt disease within 3 years
THYROID NODULES A taller-than-wide thyroid nodule shape on ultrasound imaging is associated with increased risk of thyroid cancer
THYROID CANCER What is the risk of cancer in suspicious thyroid biopsies
THYROID NODULES Improving needle biopsy accuracy with molecular testing
THYROID CANCER Total thyroidectomy vs. lobectomy for initial thyroid cancer surgery
THYROID CANCER Determining the ideal dose of radioactive iodine in the treatment of thyroid cancer
THYROID CANCER The thyroglobulin doubling time predicts survival in patients with papillary thyroid cancer
SPOTLIGHT ON Graves' Disease and Thyroid Foundation
Less than a week before the Graves' Disease annual Conference set for early November in Boston, a rare fall nor'easter left many communities without power. Read More...
Support thyroid research and education today with your donation to the ATA!
The ATA exists to serve you by supporting educational information and clinical management guidelines for physicians and patients. Your contribution supports:
- ATA sponsored Clinical Management Guidelines available free online
- The latest in Thyroid Health Education for patients and the public
- Scientific research dedicated to advancing patient care
- Top-notch endocrinologists from around the world listed on physician referral for patients
- Publications of the latest clinical research: Clinical Thyroidology and Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
So please, take a moment to Donate Today!
You are appreciated by the American Thyroid Association for your contribution!