Friends of the ATA on Twitter
Follow us on Twitter at @thyroidfriends
Get the most up-to-date thyroid news fast and easy. Be the most informed thyroid patient in the waiting room! Please feel free to submit questions as well as suggestions as to how we can better serve thyroid patients.
Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
Up-to-date information to help you understand thyroid disease through the latest research.
The ATA has released a special report on the effects of radiation exposure to the thyroid from x-ray procedures entitled Policy Statement on Thyroid Shielding During Diagnostic Medical and Dental Radiology. This report is summarized in this issue.
SPOTLIGHT ON Graves' Disease and Thyroid Foundation
In this issue we shine the Spotlight On: Graves' Disease and Thyroid Foundation and an event in which a patient becomes "Greater Than Graves"!
In this issue, the studies ask the following questions:
- Should there be universal screening for detection of thyroid disease in pregnancy?
- How frequently are women tested for thyroid problems during pregnancy?
- Is the baby's brain development affected if the mother is diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism during pregnancy?
- Are you at risk for thyroid problems if you are exposed to intravenous dye during an x-ray study?
- Is microscopic extension of thyroid cancer a risk factor for cancer recurrence?
- Can radioactive iodine be used instead of a repeat surgery after lobectomy in patients with thyroid cancer?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD
THYROID AND PREGNANCY Should there be universal screening for detection of thyroid disease in pregnancy?
THYROID AND PREGNANCY Testing for hypothyroidism during pregnancy
THYROID AND PREGNANCY Brain development may be entirely normal in children born to women with hypothyroidism who are treated during pregnancy
HYPERTHYROIDISM Increased risk of hyperthyroidism within 2 years after exposure to intravenous contrast dye
THYROID CANCER Microscopic extension of thyroid cancer does not change the risk of cancer recurrence
THYROID CANCER Successful low dose radioactive iodine therapy in papillary microcarcinoma