Friends of the ATA
Welcome to our 6th year of Clinical Thyroidology for Patients, bringing to you, the patient, the most up-to-date, cutting edge thyroid research. What you read here as research studies will likely become the accepted practice in the future. Clinical Thyroidology for Patients is published on a monthly basis and includes summaries of research studies that were discussed in a recent issue of Clinical Thyroidology, a publication of the American Thyroid Association for physicians. This means that you, the patients, are getting the latest information on thyroid research and treatment almost as soon as your physicians.
We will be continuing to provide even faster updates of late-breaking thyroid news through Twitter @thyroidfriends and on Facebook. Our goal is to provide you with the tools to be the most informed thyroid patient in the waiting room. Please feel free to submit questions as well as suggestions as to how we can better serve thyroid patients.
Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
Up-to-date information to help you understand thyroid disease through the latest research.
In this issue, the studies ask the following questions:
- Is gestational diabetes associated with autoimmune thyroid disease?
- What dose of radioactive iodine is the best for treatment of Graves' disease?
- Does lithium have a role in the treatment of hyperthyroidism with radioactive iodine?
- Do larger thyroid nodules have an increased risk of cancer?
- Can analysis of molecular markers on thyroid biopsies help make a diagnosis?
- Is there a cost-effective way of predicting post-thyroidectomy hypocalcemia?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD
THYROID DISEASE AND PREGNANCY Thyroid dysfunction and autoimmune thyroid disease may increase risk of gestational diabetes
HYPERTHYROIDISM Treatment of hyperthyroidism with larger doses of radioactive iodine produces a higher success rate
HYPERTHYROIDISM Lithium improves the effect of radioactive iodine treatment in patients with Graves' disease or toxic nodular goiter
THYROID NODULES Thyroid nodule size larger than 4 cm does not increase the risk of false negative biopsy results or the risk of cancer
THYROID NODULES Analysis of molecular markers on indeterminate thyroid biopsies may reduce the need for thyroid surgery
THYROID NODULES Is there a cost-effective way of predicting post-thyroidectomy hypocalcemia?
The American Thyroid Association is pleased to welcome our two newest members, Thyroid Federation International and Thyroid Cancer Canada, to the Alliance for Thyroid Patient Education.
The goal of our Alliance is to provide accurate and reliable information for patients about the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of thyroid diseases.
We look forward to future collaborations and continuing to work together towards the improvement of thyroid education and resources for patients.
Support thyroid research and education today with your donation to the ATA!
The ATA exists to serve you by supporting educational information and clinical management guidelines for physicians and patients. Your contribution supports:
- ATA sponsored Clinical Management Guidelines available free online
- The latest in Thyroid Health Education for patients and the public
- Scientific research dedicated to advancing patient care
- Top-notch endocrinologists from around the world listed on physician referral for patients
- Publications of the latest clinical research: Clinical Thyroidology and Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
You are appreciated by the American Thyroid Association for your contribution!