Friends of the ATA
Welcome to Clinical Thyroidology for Patients, bringing to you, the patient, the most up-to-date, cutting edge thyroid research. What you read here as research studies will likely become the accepted practice in the future. Clinical Thyroidology for Patients is published on a monthly basis and includes summaries of research studies that were discussed in a recent issue of Clinical Thyroidology, a publication of the American Thyroid Association for physicians. This means that you, the patients, are getting the latest information on thyroid research and treatment almost as soon as your physicians.
We will be providing even faster updates of late-breaking thyroid news through Twitter at @thyroidfriends and on Facebook. Our goal is to provide you with the tools to be the most informed thyroid patient in the waiting room. Also check out our friends in the ATA Alliance for Thyroid Patient Education. The Alliance member groups consist of: the American Thyroid Association, the Graves' Disease and Thyroid Foundation, the Light of Life Foundation, ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors Association, Thyroid Cancer Canada and Thyroid Federation International.
LEVOXYL Alert — there is a nationwide shortage in LEVOXYL that may not be resolved until 2014. Please see details here.
New Patient Education Web Brochure:
Thyroid Disease and Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
Up-to-date information to help you understand thyroid disease through the latest research.
In this issue, the studies ask the following questions:
- Are generic and branded levothyroxine preparations equal?
- Is TSH the best measure for levothyroxine treatment in hypothyroid patients?
- Can the mother's thyroid function affect her baby's birth weight?
- Should subacute thyroiditis be treated with corticosteroids?
- Is the treatment of Graves' disease changing?
- How common in cancer in nodular goiters?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD
HYPOTHYROIDISM Generic and branded levothyroxine preparations are not the same in children with congenital hypothyroidism
THYROID FUNCTION TESTS Is serum TSH the best measure for levothyroxine treatment in hypothyroid patients?
THYROID AND PREGNANCY Maternal thyroid function during pregnancy may influence infant birth weight
THYROIDITIS Treatment of subacute (viral) thyroiditis with low dose corticosteroids
GRAVES' DISEASE A survey of management of uncomplicated Graves' disease shows a change in treatment practices
THYROID CANCER Prevalence of thyroid cancer in nodular goiter
The goal of our Alliance is to provide accurate and reliable information for patients about the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of thyroid diseases.
We look forward to future collaborations and continuing to work together towards the improvement of thyroid education and resources for patients.
Support thyroid research and education today with your donation to the ATA!
The ATA exists to serve you by supporting educational information and clinical management guidelines for physicians and patients. Your contribution supports:
- ATA sponsored Clinical Management Guidelines available free online
- The latest in Thyroid Health Education for patients and the public
- Scientific research dedicated to advancing patient care
- Top-notch endocrinologists from around the world listed on physician referral for patients
- Publications of the latest clinical research: Clinical Thyroidology and Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
You are appreciated by the American Thyroid Association for your contribution!