Friends of the ATA
FREE Public Health Forum
Saturday, October 19, 2013
1:00 pm — 3:00 pm
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino
200 Convention Center Boulevard, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00907
Thyroid Experts from the American Thyroid Association and thyroid patients join together to inform the general public, other thyroid patients, and their friends and families about:
Thyroid Disease and You
Physician experts will discuss thyroid disorders. This program is free and all are welcome, including walk–in–attendees. Reservations are encouraged to ensure we have enough seating Read More...
Foro Gratuito de Salud Pública (En Español)
We will be providing even faster updates of late-breaking thyroid news through Twitter at @thyroidfriends and on Facebook. Our goal is to provide you with the tools to be the most informed thyroid patient in the waiting room. Also check out our friends in the ATA Alliance for Thyroid Patient Education. The Alliance member groups consist of: the American Thyroid Association, the Graves' Disease and Thyroid Foundation, the Light of Life Foundation, ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors Association, Thyroid Cancer Canada and Thyroid Federation International.
Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
Up-to-date information to help you understand thyroid disease through the latest research.
In this issue, the studies ask the following questions:
- Does the treatment choice in hyperthyroid patients affect the risk of death?
- Can the diabetes drug metformin prevent goiters?
- What are the risk factors for developing eye disease after radioactive iodine treatment for Graves' disease?
- Can laser therapy be used to treat papillary thyroid cancer that has spread to lymph nodes?
- Does age or sex affect the relationship between FT4 and TSH?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD
HYPOTHYROIDISM Does the treatment choice between antithyroid drugs and radioactive iodine in hyperthyroid patients affect the risk of death?
GOITER Metformin prevents goiter in patients with type 2 diabetes
GRAVES' DISEASE Early treatment of hypothyroidism after radioactive iodine therapy for Graves' disease prevents Graves' ophthalmopathy
THYROID CANCER Percutaneous laser ablation is effective therapy for recurrence of papillary thyroid cancer in lymph nodes
THYROID HORMONES Both age and sex affects the relationship between blood levels of T4 and TSH
The goal of our Alliance is to provide accurate and reliable information for patients about the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of thyroid diseases.
We look forward to future collaborations and continuing to work together towards the improvement of thyroid education and resources for patients.
Support thyroid research and education today with your donation to the ATA!
The ATA exists to serve you by supporting educational information and clinical management guidelines for physicians and patients. Your contribution supports:
- ATA sponsored Clinical Management Guidelines available free online
- The latest in Thyroid Health Education for patients and the public
- Scientific research dedicated to advancing patient care
- Top-notch endocrinologists from around the world listed on physician referral for patients
- Publications of the latest clinical research: Clinical Thyroidology and Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
ATA is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization. Your gift is deductible according to tax law. A copy of the ATA's most recent audited financial information is available online
You make the difference by contributing to thyroid research and patient education - thank you!