2. Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Haugen BR, Kloos RT, Lee SL, Mandel SJ, Mazzaferri EL, McIver B, Pacini F, Schlumberger M, Sherman SI, Steward DL, Tuttle RM 2009 Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 19:1167–1214.
3. Udelsman R, Lakatos E, Ladenson P 1996 Optimal surgery for papillary thyroid carcinoma. World J Surg 20:88–93.
4. Carling T, Long WD 3rd, Udelsman R 2010 Controversy surrounding the role for routine central lymph node dissection for differentiated thyroid cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 22:30–34.
5. Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Haugen BR, Kloos RT, Lee SL, Mandel SJ, Mazzaferri EL, McIver B, Sherman SI, Tuttle RM 2006 Management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 16:109–142.
6. White ML, Gauger PG, Doherty GM 2007 Central lymph node dissection in differentiated thyroid cancer. World J Surg 31:895–904.
7. Cady B, Rossi R 1988 An expanded view of risk-group definition in differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 104:947–953.
8. Lundgren CI, Hall P, Dickman PW, Zedenius J 2006 Clinically significant prognostic factors for differentiated thyroid carcinoma: a population-based, nested case-control study. Cancer 106:524–531.
9. Lundgren CI, Hall P, Dickman PW, Zedenius J 2007 Influence of surgical and postoperative treatment on survival in differentiated thyroid cancer. Br J Surg 94:571–577.
10. Hughes CJ, Shaha AR, Shah JP, Loree TR 1996 Impact of lymph node metastasis in differentiated carcinoma of the thyroid: a matched-pair analysis. Head Neck 18:127–132.
11. Zaydfudim V, Feurer ID, Griffin MR, Phay JE 2008 The impact of lymph node involvement on survival in patients with papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 144:1070–1077; discussion 1077–1078.
12. Zetoune T, Keutgen X, Buitrago D, Aldailami H, Shao H, Mazumdar M, Fahey TJ 3rd, Zarnegar R 2010 Prophylactic central neck dissection and local recurrence in papillary thyroid cancer: a meta-analysis. Ann Surg Oncol 17:3287–3293.
13. Stulak JM, Grant CS, Farley DR, Thompson GB, van Heerden JA, Hay ID, Reading CC, Charboneau JW 2006 Value of preoperative ultrasonography in the surgical management of initial and reoperative papillary thyroid cancer. Arch Surg 141:489–494; discussion 494–486.
14. Bardet S, Malville E, Rame JP, Babin E, Samama G, De Raucourt D, Michels JJ, Reznik Y, Henry-Amar M 2008 Macroscopic lymph-node involvement and neck dissection predict lymph-node recurrence in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Eur J Endocrinol 158:551–560.
15. Cranshaw IM, Carnaille B 2008 Micrometastases in thyroid cancer. An important finding? Surg Oncol 17:253–258.
16. Gemsenjager E, Perren A, Seifert B, Schuler G, Schweizer I, Heitz PU 2003 Lymph node surgery in papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Am Coll Surg 197:182–190.
17. Ito Y, Fukushima M, Tomoda C, Inoue H, Kihara M, Higashiyama T, Uruno T, Takamura Y, Miya A, Kobayashi K, Matsuzuka F, Miyauchi A 2009 Prognosis of patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma having clinically apparent metastasis to the lateral compartment. Endocr J 56:759–766.
18. Ito Y, Tomoda C, Uruno T, Takamura Y, Miya A, Kobayashi K, Matsuzuka F, Kuma K, Miyauchi A 2004 Preoperative ultrasonographic examination for lymph node metastasis: usefulness when designing lymph node dissection for papillary microcarcinoma of the thyroid. World J Surg 28:498–501.
19. Wada N, Duh QY, Sugino K, Iwasaki H, Kameyama K, Mimura T, Ito K, Takami H, Takanashi Y 2003 Lymph node metastasis from 259 papillary thyroid microcarcinomas: frequency, pattern of occurrence and recurrence, and optimal strategy for neck dissection. Ann Surg 237:399–407.
20. Wada N, Masudo K, Nakayama H, Suganuma N, Matsuzu K, Hirakawa S, Rino Y, Masuda M, Imada T 2008 Clinical outcomes in older or younger patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma: impact of lymphadenopathy and patient age. Eur J Surg Oncol 34:202–207.
21. Lundgren E, Rastad J, Åkerström G, Ljunghall S 1997 Population-based health screening for primary hyperparathyroidism with serum calcium and parathyroid hormone values in menopausal women. Surgery 121:287–294.
22. Carty SE, Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Duh QY, Kloos RT, Mandel SJ, Randolph GW, Stack BC Jr, Steward DL, Terris DJ, Thompson GB, Tufano RP, Tuttle RM, Udelsman R 2009 Consensus statement on the terminology and classification of central neck dissection for thyroid cancer. Thyroid 19:1153–1158.
23. Lakatos E 1986 Sample size determination in clinical trials with time-dependent rates of losses and noncompliance. Control Clin Trials 7:189–199.
24. Lakatos E 1988 Sample sizes based on the log-rank statistic in complex clinical trials. Biometrics 44:229–241.
25. Sywak MS, Palazzo FF, Yeh M, Wilkinson M, Snook K, Sidhu SB, Delbridge LW 2007 Parathyroid hormone assay predicts hypocalcaemia after total thyroidectomy. ANZ J Surg 77:667–670.