The American Thyroid Association® (ATA) is a unique society providing services to the public far beyond its membership numbers. Its 1,700 physician and scientist members from 43 countries around the world have a wealth of expertise and are mission-driven to make the world a better place for patients suffering with thyroid disease and thyroid cancer.
The philanthropic support of our members and friends, and the public and grateful patients permits the ATA® to provide this variety and extent of valuable services.
Our small but dedicated staff facilitates the productivity of our board and committee members who further our mission and values. The ATA® staff holds the organization and themselves to the highest standards of nonprofit and charitable organizations.
The ATA® is dedicated to the advancement, understanding, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorders and thyroid cancer. Celebrating its 95th anniversary, ATA® delivers its mission through these key endeavors:
- “Find a specialist” patient resource connecting clinical thyroidologists to patients in North America and around the world.
- A communication network for national and international thyroidologists.
- An international organization disseminating leading-edge research findings about the full array of thyroid biology and disease.
- Extensive website resources for the public and health care professionals at www.thyroid.org.
- ATA® sponsored Clinical Management Guidelines for thyroid diseases and thyroid cancer.
- Clinical Thyroidology® for the Public.
- Public awareness for thyroid education and thyroid health.
- Professional comment on thyroid drug safety and efficacy.
- Centralized search engine of clinical trials related to thyroid disease.
- “Friends of the ATA” – a resource for patients to receive monthly updates by email on the latest thyroid research and answers to frequently asked questions.
- Sources of thyroid research grant funding by the ATA® include Bite Me Cancer and the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation.
- Organization of scientific educational symposia on thyroid research and clinical treatment to improve the lives of patients and the understanding of thyroid function.
- The official Journals of the ATA®, Thyroid®, Clinical Thyroidology® and VideoEndocrinology™
- Consistent new information organized for the scientist, the clinician, the academic, the patient, the public.
- Fellows’ Corner to support and encourage new endocrinology specialists.
- A society dedicated to thyroidology supporting educational and association benefits for trainees in endocrinology, and other specialties.
- Collaborative efforts with endocrine, surgery and nuclear medicine societies.
- Collaborative efforts with the International Thyroid Congress.
The ATA® is financially and philosophically solid and governed by an engaged and dedicated Board of Directors. We are strategic in our future and mission oriented goals to serve the public and our members.
Patient and Public Education and Outreach
Friends of the ATA
The ATA® has over 12,000 public subscribers to information sent electronically to those interested in learning more about thyroid disease and thyroid research. Clinical Thyroidology® for the Public is edited by a group of thyroid specialists and sent monthly with a calendar of patient events held around the country by members of the ATA® Alliance for Patient Education.
The ATA® is committed to supporting research into better ways to diagnose and treat thyroid disease. The generosity of members, patients, industry, and donors in the workplace has enabled the ATA® to award 78 thyroid research grants totaling $2,076,250 since the inception of the Research Fund. The ATA® collaborates with ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors, Inc. to support an additional 35 special research grants focused on thyroid cancer for $961,250.