ATA Statement on COVID-19
The Covid-19 pandemic has caused an unprecedented upheaval in our daily lives and presented extremely difficult challenges to our healthcare system. There is a lot of information circulating around. As we try to do with Clinical Thyroidology for the Public, we at the American Thyroid Association would like to make sure that you all have access to most accurate, reliable, fact-based and updated information.
We recommend the following websites:
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website
- US Department of State website
- World Health Organization website
- The Apple COVID-19 Screening tool app, developed in conjunction with the CDC, FEMA and the White House. This is free and available in the App Store. Unfortunately, there is not yet an android version of this app.
We all can, and must, do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 and to “flatten the curve”. COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person who are in close contact with one another. Because of this, we all have the power to attack this pandemic by:
- Practicing Social Distancing (6 feet apart) – This is the best way to avoid being exposed to, or spreading, this virus.
- Cleaning our hands often with soap or hand sanitizer. Avoid touching our eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Staying home if we are sick, except to get medical care.
- Cleaning AND disinfecting frequently touched surfaces daily.
Take care and stay safe – we will get through this, together.
Alan P. Farwell, MD
Editor, Clinical Thyroidology for the Public