The American Thyroid Association (ATA) invites you to attend the 15th International Thyroid Congress (ITC) taking place October 18 – October 23, 2015 at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida USA. The E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference offers educational programs and special benefits for all early career trainees, and exclusive funding opportunities for trainee first author abstract presenters attending the 15th ITC.
All trainees that have registered for the 15th ITC can attend the E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference (the Ridgway) and Day 1 of the E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference. There is no additional charge to participate in this program and it is open to all registered trainees as a benefit of meeting registration as a trainee (member or non-member).
If you plan to attend Day 1 of the Ridgway (starts at 8 am on October 18 which requires arrival in Orlando on Saturday evening October 17) be sure to select the "ATA Ridgway Trainees' Conference Day 1 Programming" option when registering for the full 15th ITC. The program code TTW will be listed on your 15th ITC Registration Confirmation.
Make sure to get involved by doing the following:
- Ridgway Day 1 Faculty-Trainee Round Table Discussion Sign Up (October 18, 2015)– Sign Up Today. First come, first served.
- Casually interact with 2015 Ridgway Trainee Conference faculty members and other trainees at your selected table.
- 2015 Trainee Poster Contest - 2015 Trainee Poster Contest - Submit your electronic poster for the 3rd Annual Trainee Poster Contest by Monday, September 21.
- NOTE – you do not have to be an ATA member but if you are not you will need to create a simple account here to access the submission site.
- Present A Case Discussion To Thyroid Experts at the ITC – submit a case study for discussion by Friday, September 25, 2015. One presenter from each session chosen at random will be awarded a complimentary 15th ITC Gala Banquet and Dinner Dance Ticket taking place on Wednesday, October 21st.
- Join the Trainee Community – Join the ATA Trainees' Facebook Group for the latest updates on the 15th ITC and E. Chester Ridgway Trainees' Conference. Also follow us on Twitter (@amthyassn) and LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/american-thyroid-association
- 15th ITC Reception and Gala Dinner – Don’t miss out on this annual favorite to dance up a storm alongside your colleagues and thyroid leaders from around the world taking place Wednesday, October 21 at 7:30 PM.
- 15th ITC Woman in Thyroidology Woman Networking Meeting - 15th ITC Women in Thyroidology Networking Meeting - Make sure you are registered for an invaluable opportunity to network with colleagues. Special guest speaker, Dr. Ofelia Olivero (NIH) will present on the importance of mentoring and empowering women to pursue successful careers.
Please read details E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference and Grant program below and let us know if you have any questions.
We look forward to your participation!
The ATA is pleased to announce that the 2nd Annual E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference (Ridgway) will begin on Sunday, October 18, 2015 and continue through the 15th International Thyroid Congress (ITC). Replacing the previously named ATA Trainees' Track and Endocrine Fellows Conference, the Ridgway includes exciting new components with the overall objective of advancing the trainee understanding of thyroid physiology, disease and treatment.
The ATA E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference is named in memory of Dr. E. Chester (Chip) Ridgway who founded and organized the Endocrine Fellows' Conference (EFC) for 20 years. The EFC program educated over 1500 fellows, many of whom have become leaders in the thyroid field. A record number of 230 trainees participated in the inaugural Ridgway Trainee Conference in 2014. Fellows, residents, postdocs, and students came from 21 countries to participate in this career developing opportunity.
The Ridgway is comprised of special accredited sessions each day of the 15th ITC specifically designed to enhance the "trainee experience." The first day of the Ridgway Trainee Conference on Sunday, October 18 kicks off with a full-day of unopposed sessions.
Day 1 – Sunday, October 18th
Clinical, pediatric, and surgical trainees from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Basic and research trainees from 12:45 am – 4:30 pm.
You must register for Day 1 (starts at 8 am on October 18 which requires arrival in Orlando on Saturday evening October 17) of the Ridgway is considered a launch to the conference and is open to all who trainees who have pre-registered for the 15th International Thyroid Congress. Interested trainees must select the "ATA Ridgway Trainees' Conference Day 1 Programming" option when registering for the full 15th ITC. The Sunday, October 18 – Thursday, October 22 trainee program is open to all registered trainees as a benefit of meeting registration as a trainee (member or non-member).
The Ridgway continues Monday, October 19th through Thursday, October 22nd with sessions taking place throughout the day for clinical, basic and surgical trainees running in parallel and in concert with the 15th ITC scientific program. Leaders in the field present on such topics as thyroid career tracks, how to set up a thyroid practice and how to navigate the publication process and submit publication-ready articles.
A full agenda will be available mid Summer 2015. Participation in the Ridgway provides a scaffold of endocrine education. Learning objectives are as follows:
- Recall management guidelines for hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism , and subclinical thyroid disease
- Relate the important information to be communicated about thyroid surgery
- Diagnose thyrotoxicosis in pregnancy and understand current treatment recommendations
- Describe the physiologic changes in thyroid function that occur in normal pregnancy
- Understand and recognize thyroid anatomy
- Discuss diagnostic utility of molecular markers in fine needle aspiration (FNA) samples
- Identify the basic physics of thyroid ultrasonography
- Know the components of a strong manuscript and pitfalls to avoid in the publication process
- Consider various career pathways and identify strategies and skills required to pursue their individual interests
- Recognize the role of pathology in the diagnosis, prognosis and therapeutic decision-making for patients with thyroid disease
- Anticipate common toxicities and how to manage when they develop, and
- Many more learning objectives that will benefit the trainee in their early career experience and provide the educational framework for the endocrine boards
Taking away the latest clinical and basic science research into thyroid disease is only a fraction of the benefits that trainees receive when participating in the Ridgway and 15th ITC. Trainees will be able to take part in round table discussions with leaders in the thyroid field, present research and case reports, network with peers around the world, and find their professional home.
Other benefits for ALL trainees that attend the Ridgway and 15th ITC include:
- Discounted 15th ITC meeting registration (additional registration discounts available for trainees (first author on accepted abstracts) who participate in the ATA Grant Program)
- Complimentary lunch (Sunday - Thursday)
- Continental breakfasts before the early riser sessions (Monday – Friday)
- Discounted tickets for you and your guests to the ever-popular ITC Annual Banquet and Reception
- Complimentary access to the ITC Women in Thyroidology (WIT) Networking meeting (registration required)
The E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference will be an invaluable opportunity that you do not want to miss! We look forward to seeing you in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
The ATA offers grant opportunities for ATA Associate members who qualify. The ATA Trainees' Grant is a space limited opportunity open to trainees, fellows, residents, and medical and graduate students who are first authors on an accepted 15th International Thyroid Congress abstract until the program reaches capacity.
Requirements to apply:
- Must be ATA Associate Member
- Must be a first author on a submitted/accepted abstract to be presented at the 15th ITC
WHAT WILL YOU RECEIVE
Benefits of the ATA Trainee Grant:
- Discounted Meeting Registration
- Access to the ATA Trainee Ultrasound Workshop and Practicum (open to clinical & surgical trainees only)
- Complimentary buffet lunch (Sunday through Thursday of the meeting), and continental breakfasts before the early riser sessions
- Discounted tickets for you and your guests to the ever-popular 15th ITC Annual Banquet and Reception
- Complimentary access to the Women in Thyroidology (WIT) Networking meeting (registration required)
- Complimentary shared sleeping room accommodations at the Headquarters Hotel for five nights during the 15th ITC (six nights may be approved for those trainees participating in the ITC E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference full-day, pre-meeting program held Sunday, October 18, 2015).
- You will be paired with a same-sex trainee or a requested roommate. The ATA will not accommodate any single room requests,
- Reservations will be made on your behalf by the ATA and hotel confirmations will be sent by early September 2015,
- This is a space-limited opportunity and will offer shared room accommodations until the program reaches capacity
Please consider these important dates when applying for the grant opportunity:
- Wednesday, April 8 – Trainees grant application process opens (You must be an ATA associate member to access the application)
- Friday, June 26 – Deadline to become an ATA member or apply for ATA Membership if you have submitted an abstract for the meeting or are interested in the ITC Trainee Grant Program.
- Friday, July 10 – Deadline to apply for the ITC Trainees Grant.
- Saturday, August 1 – Acceptance notifications will be sent before or around this date
- August 31st – Must be registered for the 15th ITC to secure your grant funding
- Mid-September – Hotel confirmations will be sent to grant trainees who have been offered complimentary, shared-room lodging
The 15th ITC E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Conference sessions and sleeping room accommodations will be available at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA.
- Apply to be an ATA Associate Member if not already a member (Note: The ATA new membership application processing can take up to 2-4 week; membership dues = $25 USD)
- Submit an abstract as a first author for the 15th ITC by Wednesday, June 17th
- Complete the 2015 Trainee Grant Application on Trainees' Corner by Friday, July 10, 2015 (first-come, first-served basis until program reaches capacity).
- Register for the 15th ITC using the discount code given with the notice of acceptance to the Trainee Grant program between August 1 – August 31. (No refunds will be given for registering for the ITC meeting at the higher rate, only member credit)
New colleagues from around the world
Discounted tickets to the Banquet
Trainee Poster Contest
Trainee Welcome Reception
Trainee Ultrasound Course
Trainee Case Presentations to Panel of Thyroid Experts
Round table discussions with leaders in the Thyroid Field