CLINICAL THYROIDOLOGY FOR PATIENTS
A publication of the American Thyroid Association
Table of Contents
Welcome to Clinical Thyroidology for Patients. This publication is a collection of summaries of the top articles from the recent medical literature that cover the broad spectrum of thyroid disorders. Clinical Thyroidology for Patients is published on a monthly basis and includes summaries of research studies that were discussed in the previous month’s issue of Clinical Thyroidology, a publication of the American Thyroid Association for physicians. This means that you, the patients, are getting the latest information on thyroid research and treatment almost as soon as your physicians. The Calendar of Events highlights educational forums and support groups that are organized around the country by members of the Alliance for Thyroid Patient Education. The Alliance member groups consist of: the American Thyroid Association, the Graves’ Disease Foundation, the Light of Life Foundation and ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors Association.
IN THIS ISSUE, STUDIES ASK THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
- Are there other types of thyroid imaging studies that may be helpful in patients with thyroid cancer?
- Do antibodies affect measurement of thyroglobulin levels in thyroid cancer patients?
- Should we be concerned with transiently low thyroid hormone levels in preterm infants?
- Is there a correlation between thyroid hormone levels and bone density in men?
- Is there an association between thyroid hormone levels in the normal range and miscarriage?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD