CLINICAL THYROIDOLOGY FOR PATIENTS
A publication of the American Thyroid Association
Table of Contents
Welcome to Clinical Thyroidology for Patients, bringing to you, the patients, the most up-to-date, cutting edge thyroid research. What you read here as research studies will likely become the accepted practice in the future. Clinical Thyroidology for Patients is published on a monthly basis and includes summaries of research studies that were discussed in a recent issue of Clinical Thyroidology, a publication of the American Thyroid Association for physicians. This means that you, the patients, are getting the latest information on thyroid research and treatment almost as soon as your physicians.
The Calendar of Events highlights educational forums and support groups that are organized around the country by members of the Alliance for Thyroid Patient Education. The Alliance member groups consist of: the American Thyroid Association, the Graves’ Disease and Thyroid Foundation, the Light of Life Foundation and ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors Association.
In this issue, the studies ask the following questions:
- Do hyperthyroid patients have an increased risk of death?
- Can we predict which hyperthyroid patients with atrial fibrillation are at risk for clots?
- What is the appropriate dietary iodine intake during pregnancy?
- Can we predict which nodules are likely to have inadequate biopsies?
- What types of nodule calcification are associated with thyroid cancer?
- Is the fat cell protein adiponectin a risk factor for thyroid cancer?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD